Self Defense/Firearms Instructor-James Carter (Jim)
Jim Carter graduated from The Citadel – The Military College of South Carolina as a member of the Class of 1999 with a Bachelor’s Degree in History. He has served for 16 years (and counting) as a Field Artillery Officer in both the Active and Reserve Components of the United States Marine Corps. He is a decorated combat veteran with deployments to Iraq, the Far East, and Afghanistan. His military instructor credentials include; Combat Marksmanship Coach, Foreign Weapons Instructor, and 1st Degree Black Belt in the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program. Jim is a Life Member of the National Rifle Association and holds certifications as an NRA Law Enforcement Handgun and Shotgun Instructor. For over a decade, he has maintained an active concealed carry license and holds a Texas Department of Public Safety Concealed Handgun Instructor license as well as a Kentucky Department of Criminal Justice Concealed Carry of Deadly Weapons Instructor certification. Additionally, Jim has trained extensively with instructors such as Magpul Dynamics, Larry Vickers, Mike Pannone, and Pat McNamara. He was a “cast member” in the Magpul Art of the Dynamic Handgun DVD set, a Vickers Shooting Method Regional Endorsed Instructor, and has served as an Assistant Instructor in support of both Larry Vickers and Travis Haley.
Jim Carter – BodyQuest Training offerings
Self-Defense/Hand2Hand Fundamentals (1-1.5hrs):
- The focus of this training is to provide the client with an understanding of the principles which encompass the full spectrum of “self-defense”. This training will focus on two primary skill groups; Practical and Physical. Practical skills will involve exercises in situational awareness, environmental concerns, emotional/stress mitigation, observation, and assessment. Physical skills will include striking, fighting positions, target areas, human anatomy, grappling, and escapes.
Armed Body Mechanics (1-1.5hrs):
– This class is designed to provide familiarization to the student in the techniques required to smoothly and skillfully transition from an unarmed state into and armed state. A significant portion of this class will focus on the body mechanics of gun handling while static and in motion. Topics covered will be firearms safety rules, the Cooper color codes, drawstroke, ready positions, movement, sighting, and trigger/weapon manipulation. This class will be the basis and a requirement for attendance at future live fire range events. Required equipment: personal protection/carry handgun, holster, 2 magazines, and belt or preferred manner of weapon transport. Weapons will undergo a 100% safety inspection prior to the start of class.
Domestic Security Evaluation & Development (2-2.5hrs):
– Neither the world at large nor our individual communities are getting any safer. It is therefore prudent for the individual client to understand their environment and take the steps to maintain their personal level of readiness to match. The goal of the Domestic Security Evaluation is to provide the client with an open source briefing of the area where they reside, an analysis of potential risk, and to begin the process of developing a personal defensive plan. There are many tools available in the world of personal security and many alternatives, this consult will arm the decision making to determine what is adequate and matches best with the lifestyle of the client. The goal of this survey is to provide consulting to individuals who are concerned with the security of their homes as well as with their own personal security. A home invasion does not ALWAYS mean multiple assailants breaking in doors and windows to gain access to the residence and assault you and your family, but at the same time in absolutely COULD mean that very thing. The first portion of the survey, a physical site inspection provided to the customer, will provide them a real assessment of the security of their residence and the neighborhood / area in which they live. Next, the survey will delve into home security measures and last of all, talk about prudent emergency response, movement routes, and engagement areas within their home. As you are aware Hollywood lies and most average citizens have no clue as to what takes place while doing battle within a structure. The clients will be briefed on terminal ballistics, home materials (composition), use of white lights/illumination considerations, and geometries of fire. The survey will include recommendations for selection of “home defense” firearms and optimized components for those weapons.
***A follow on appointment will be conducted at a later date to cover the clients immediate action plan and conduct meaningful rehearsals.
Fighting from Concealment / “Every Day Carry Combat” (4-6hrs.):
- This class is designed to be the “live fire” brother to Armed Body Mechanics. Too often citizens who carry a concealed weapon are constrained by range regulations (some safety focused, but many also arbitrary) that preclude them from taking the critical steps of becoming proficient and engaging a threat with a concealed weapon. The majority of “professional firearms training” currently available to the public also follows a format that lends itself to a open carry, Law Enforcement duty rig, or Competitive shooter gear setup. The purpose of Fighting from Concealment is to connect the dots for the Armed Citizen and build a training class around their “Every Day Carry” system. The philosophy behind this class will always go back to the old NASCAR adage “You Run what you Brung.” Topics covered will be: engagements from concealment, multiple target engagement, speed/tactical reloads, flashlight employment, blade employment considerations, and high stress/exertion performance. A very high degree of importance WILL be placed on SAFETY and ACCURACY.
Required Equipment: Personal Handgun, Quality concealment holster & belt (or carry system), 2-5 magazines, handheld flashlight, folding blade knife, eye and ear protection, and 150 rounds of factory ammunition.
Optional equipment: Magazine pouches/caddy, fixed blade knife with sheath, fixed blade trainer.
Urban/Modern Environment Individual Response (3-4hrs):
- This class is designed to promote a level of situational/environmental awareness and self confidence in the client who chooses to adopt the “every day carry” lifestyle. The client will gain an appreciation of optimal concealed carry systems, techniques, and equipment as well as coming to a realistic appreciation of what they really need to maintain on their person. Once this is achieved, the instructor and client(s) will discuss and execute practical application of situational awareness techniques, spotting escape and movement routes, 3 dimensional movement, and build awareness of the environmental details of “every day life” locations such as Malls, restaurants, big box stores, Grocery stores, etc. This concept derives from the military concept of the Tactical Exercise Without Troops or TEWT. The client will be continuously quizzed on their tactical decision making foundation.